Vigo County School Corporation Aquatic Center
The Vigo County School Corporation Aquatic Center opened in January 2016, offering a competition-sized pool serving our three traditional high school swim teams. This facility replaced undersized and hard-to-maintain pools located at each of the high schools.
Through this facility, we partner with United Way of the Wabash Valley to offer free swim lessons to every kindergarten student in Vigo County, ensuring our children’s safety for a lifetime around water.
Adult Lap Swim
Adult (18+) Lap Swim Hours
No lap swim on days VCSC is closed due to weather.
Monday/Wednesday/Friday: Noon-1:30 p.m.
Tuesday/Thursday: 6-7:30 a.m. *If VCSC is on a 2 hour delay, no lap swim
Sundays: Noon-3 p.m.
Dates we will be closed
The aquatic center will be closed:
March 5-7: No adult lap swim (HCAC meet)
$5 per session
Punch Cards are available – 10 punches for $50.00
Please fill out and bring with you. Thanks!
During the academic school year we ask that all patrons of our Adult Lap Swimming program arrive no earlier than 10 minutes before the scheduled hours and are out of the building no later than 15 minutes past closing hours to allow our school aged swimmers time to exit the facility. Thank you.
Elective Swimming Class
Fall Semester: 1st Hour from 8:10 am – 9:00 am
- To promote swimming as a tool for improving and maintaining lifelong fitness.
- Developing positive attitudes toward fitness.
- Improving swimming skills and the understanding of training principles and workout development.
Class activities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Fitness swimming, kicking, and pulling all four competitive strokes.
- Introduction to competitive drills for stroke improvement.
- Experience in creating swim workouts for all ability levels.
Students will drive themselves to the Aquatic Center for class. Students will have from 9:00-9:45 a.m. to return to their school for 3rd hour.
Terre Haute Torpedoes offers a water safety and learn to swim program that teaches children ages 3 and above the skills necessary to be safe around a pool as well as technique used in competitive swimming.
The swimmer to instructor ratio for the group lessons is 4 to 1; by keeping this ratio smaller each swimmer gets the attention that is necessary for improvement throughout the session.
Our lessons are offered monthly, excluding December. We typically swim twice a week on either Monday and Wednesday or Tuesday and Thursday (pool availability and other schedules can change lessons).
Swim by 7 Program
The VCSC’s Swim by 7 Program offers 5 days of instructional setting for all Kindergarten classes in Vigo County. Over the course of these 5 days the students will learn about water safety and water skills to help them become safer and stronger in and around the water. All swim classes are taught by American Red Cross-certified instructors. Below is a list of some of the swimming skills the students will be working on while at the Aquatic’s Center:
- Blow Bubbles
- Go underwater
- Float on back
- Kick – front and back
- Work on arms – front and back
- Practice floating with a life jacket
Fall Semester: 7th hour from 2:30-3:15 p.m.
- To train entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies.
- To provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services personnel take over.
Students will drive themselves to the Aquatic Center for class. Students will have from 1:40-2:25 p.m. (6th hour) to travel to the Aquatic Center.
- You must be at least 15 years old
- Must have a B average in PE 1 & 2
Must be able to pass a prerequisite skills evaluation by doing the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously. You may swim using the front crawl, breast stroke ,or a combination of both.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a brick recovery timed event in 1 minute, 40 seconds.