About Mr. Lugar
I have been teaching at Terre Town Elementary since 2002 and absolutely love the school and community we serve. I taught one year in fourth grade, but I have taught fifth grade ever since.
I am a life-long resident of Terre Haute and grew up attending schools in the Vigo County School Corporation (Fairbanks, Dixie Bee, Honey Creek, and Terre Haute South class of 1999). I am a 2002 graduate of Indiana State University with a degree in elementary education and an endorsement in computer literacy. I also completed a education master’s degree from Indiana Wesleyan University in 2006. I am still shocked to this day that I was honored with a WTHI Golden Apple award in 2011. My wife, a math teacher at Sarah Scott Middle School, also won a Golden Apple in 2021.
I enjoy working with the running club and math team throughout the year and also assist with technology needs throughout the building. I’m not a computer expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can help with minor technical issues.
Outside of school I enjoy spending time with my wife and two children. My son is a 7th grader at Sarah Scott, and my daughter is a 4th grader at Terre Town. My wife is a seventh grade math teacher at Sarah Scott Middle School. I love to bowl, read, run, and play other sports like tennis, volleyball, and basketball when I have a bit of free time.
If you want to find out more about our classroom, you can click the Canvas button below or check us out at these other online resources:
- 1 box of colored pencils, crayons, or markers
- School box
- 1 composition notebook
- 2 highlighters
- 2 glue sticks or 1 bottle of glue
- 1 package of 3×5 index cards (100 ct)
- 3 boxes of facial tissue
- 2 folders w/ pockets
- 30 standard pencils or 10 mechanical pencils (both with erasers)
- Water Bottle (closable)
- 1 package of loose-leaf paper
- 2 spiral notebooks
- 6 dry-erase markers
- 1 roll of paper towels
- Headphones or earbuds compatible with chromebooks
These items are not required, but they are certainly appreciated if you are able to provide them for our classroom to use.
- Gallon / Sandwich size resealable bags
- Extra loose leaf paper
- Extra dry-erase markers
- Extra writing utensils
- Respect yourself and others
- Complete all work on time
- Be honest
- Give 100%
- Listen carefully, pay attention, and follow directions
- LUGARule #1 – We will follow the HIGH 5 at all times.
- LUGARule #2 – Always say “sir” or “ma’am” when speaking to an adult.
- LUGARule #3 – Always say “thank you” when you are given something, not matter what it is.
- LUGARule #4 – Say “excuse me” when you bump into somebody, even if it is not your fault.
- LUGARule #5 – We will stay silent and single-file when walking down the hallway.
- LUGARule #6 – In the cafeteria, we will not save seats. Anyone from our class is welcome to sit with us.
- LUGARule #7 – In the cafeteria, we will talk at an appropriate volume and keep our area as clean as possible.
- LUGARule #8 – When we change subjects in class, it will be done without talking so we do not waste time.
- LUGARule #9 – We will never tell another person to “shut up”. We will find a more respectful way to express ourselves.
- LUGARule #10 – We will take responsibility for our choices an accept any consequences, good or bad.
Monday: Art with Mrs. Burley
Tuesday: Library with Mrs. Reynolds
Wednesday: P.E. with Mrs. Roberts
Thursday: Computer Lab with Mr. Lugar, Writing with Mrs. Sawyer 9:15 – 10:00
Friday: Music with Mr. Rainey
7:55 – 8:30: Breakfast and Morning Work
8:30 – 9:10: Daily Special
9:10 – 10:00: Language and Writing
10:00 – 10:40: Reading
10:40 – 11:20: Lunch and Recess
11:20 – 11:50: Read-Aloud and Check Morning Work
11:50 – 1:00: Math
1:00 – 1:15: Silent Reading
1:15 – 2:00: Social Studies / Science
2:00 – 2:30: Study time to work on daily assignments
2:30 – 2:40: Prepare for dismissal