Sugar Grove Elementary School is a partnership striving to create an interactive and safe learning environment where academic achievement, creativity, and respect is encouraged.
Sugar Grove Elementary School
This new facility is the third Sugar Grove School. The first was a two-story brick building in the 3800 block of Hulman Street. This school was located in the midst of a grove of sugar maples, The school took over all four rooms of the building when Sugar Grove Church was completed next door.
The need for additional classrooms became apparent during the 1920’s, and Harrison Township purchased five acres at 2800 Wallace Avenue and constructed the second Sugar Grove School, which opened in 1926. This school was known for a short time as the William B. McGuirk School. McGuirk School was named after the township trustee, was soon renamed Sugar Grove Elementary School following the election of William Risher as Harrison Township Trustee.
During the next sixty years, hundreds of residents in the Sugar Grove area were determined to maintain the positive traditions enjoyed in a friendly neighborhood school. Teachers took a personal interest in each child, and parent and family members were encouraged to visit the school whenever possible. Graduates of Sugar Grove have always described the school as a place where “learning was fun” and where students were made to feel part of the Sugar Grove Family.
In 1988 the third Sugar Grove building opened. The dedication took place on December 12th. Principal James Morris led the dedication along with Superintendent Charles M. Clark. The cost of the new 58,000 square feet building was $5,367,806,00. The new building had a pupil capacity of 450 students in grades K-6.
Students, staff, parents, and patrons are committed to preserving the many positive traditions which have been part of the Sugar Grove history.