Welcome to my webpage! My name is Katie (Kathryn) Rademacher-Smith and this year I am excited to be teaching first grade!!
I joined VCSC in the fall of 2013 and have taught grades 2, 3, and 4 both in-person and remotely. Prior to teaching here, I worked as a substitute teacher and spent 5 years with Rose-Hulman’s Ask Rose Hotline tutoring students across Indiana over the phone and email.
I’m originally from Southwest Michigan and completed my undergraduate degree at Saint Mary’s College near South Bend. After graduating, I worked at a small school in Michigan and a larger school in Indianapolis before finally settling in Terre Haute with my husband. We now have two children and a dog.
I like to think of my class as my other family. From the minute students walk into my room, they become my school-children. I love to hear about their adventures and discover the talents that they bring to make our classroom special.
School Supplies for the Year
Many of these supplies will be placed in a community tub and used to “restock” as the year goes on. Anything you can provide is appreciated.
- 1 plastic supply box
- 1 pair of 5 inch scissors
- 24 yellow #2 pencils (Ticonderoga are the best)
- 2 boxes of 24 crayons
- 2 wide, black dry-erase markers (Expo are preferred)
- 1 large pink eraser
- 1 plastic folder with center tabs
- 1 wide ruled composition book
- 2 small glue sticks
- 1 highlighter marker
- 2 boxes of Kleenex
- 1 box of Ziplock bags
- girls – gallon size
- boys – quart size
- 2 packages of disinfecting wipes
- Reusable water bottle
- Clean cloth mask to be worn daily
- 8:00 – 8:15: Breakfast and Morning Work
- 8:20 – 8:45: Social Studies, Science, or Health
- 8:45 – 10:00: Reading
- 10:00 – 11:00: Language and Writing
- 11:00 – 11:45: Lunch and Recess
- 11:45 – 12:45: Math
- 12:45 – 1:15: Math Interventions
- 1:15 – 1:40: Reading Interventions
- 1:40 – 2:20: Specials
- 2:20 – 2:40: Dismissal
Weekly Specials Schedule
Wednesday: Computer Lab
Thursday: Physical Education
Treat others the way that you wish to be treated
Take care of your personal and classroom materials
Behave in a way that prevents harm to yourself and others